Mental health is an essential element of our overall well-being. It is no mystery that our work environment plays an effective part in shaping our mental state.
As a lot of students are ready to join the full-time workforce for the first time, it’s vital to understand how to recognize and encourage a healthy work environment.
What is a healthy work environment?
A healthy work environment is one that is physically, mentally, and emotionally safe, secure and supportive. It will be free of discrimination, harassment, and bullying, and encourages respect, collaboration, and open communication.
In such a place you’ll be encouraged to express your ideas, opinions, and feelings without fear of judgment or retribution. Moreover, an ideal workplace will give its employees access to resources and help support them to reach their full potential.
In a healthy work environment, you can be sure to feel safe and valued for your contributions.
There are 13 domains of workplace health and safety recognized by the World Health Organization and psychological support is one of the most critical. An ideal workplace will work to address stress and other psychosocial factors that can affect employees’ health and safety. It’s essential to have access to mental health resources, including counselling and therapy services, to support employees’ emotional and psychological well-being.
In addition to psychological support, other critical domains include growth and development, recognition and reward, and work-life balance. Employees who have opportunities to learn and develop new skills, receive recognition and rewards for their hard work, and maintain a healthy work-life balance are more likely to experience positive mental health outcomes.
Determining a good workplace
When considering a job or internship, it’s crucial to ask the right questions to decide if the workplace is conducive to good mental health or not. Here are a few questions to consider:
- What is the company’s policy on mental health support for employees?
- How does the company promote work-life balance?
- What opportunities are available for professional development and growth?
- How does the company recognize and reward employees for their hard work?
- How does the company promote a culture of inclusivity and diversity?
By asking these questions, you can gain insight into the company’s values and culture and determine if it’s a good fit for your mental health needs.
How to promote good mental health?
In addition to asking questions during the interview process, you can do several other things to promote good mental health in the workplace. Here are a few tips:
- Take breaks when you need them: It’s essential to take regular intervals of rest throughout the day to recharge and refocus.
- Build a support network: Having a supportive network of coworkers and friends can make a big difference in your mental health.
- Practice self-care: Make time for activities you enjoy and prioritize self-care, such as exercise and meditation.
- Set boundaries: It’s essential to set boundaries around your work and personal life to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
Always remember that a good mental state in the workplace is essential for employee well-being and productivity. By asking the right questions during the interview process and practicing self-care and setting boundaries, you can create a healthy work environment that supports positive mental health outcomes for yourself!
Speaking about mental health, know how the people around you can affect it.