Get your taxes done – stress-free, wherever you are!
High school taught us many things – how to dissect a frog and the Pythagorean Theorem, but chances are, you still can’t do your taxes. Let us do them for you! We have a team of student volunteers to prepare your tax return for you.
Our Tax Clinic runs in March and April. Sit down (virtually!) one-on-one with IGNITE and CRA–trained accounting students to take care of your taxes.
Let’s Talk Taxes
Download our (PDF) brochure that answer’s all your tax questions, from why you should file to what you can claim!
Here’s all you need to have on hand for your virtual Zoom appointment:
Domestic Students required documents:
- Government-issued photo ID
- T2202 Tuition and Enrolment Certificate
- Rent Receipts Any other relevant documentation (ex. Canada Child Benefits, RESP)
International Students required documents:
- SIN (Social Insurance Number) or ITN (Individual tax Number). If you don’t have a SIN or ITN, contact Service Canada at 1(800) 622-6232
- The date you moved to Canada (usually, this is the date you received your first study permit at an airport or land border)
- Spouse/common-law partners income in 2020 (your spouse/common-law partner must also file a tax return if they are in Canada with you)
If you plan on staying and working in Canada after your studies, you will need to complete a tax return every year. If you don’t complete your tax return as a student, you will have to complete one for every year you missed.
Unfortunately, our tax clinic may not be able to cover the needs of every student. We can help students with modest incomes and a simple tax situation. Students with more complex tax returns should speak to a professional financial adviser. Exclusions include but are not limited to the following:
- You are self-employed or have employment expenses
- You have a business or rental income/expenses
- You have capital gains/losses
- You have filed for bankruptcy
- You own a property or home
- You have previous year(s) tax returns still yet to be completed
Please note you must be a current Humber or Guelph-Humber student to utilize the IGNITE Tax Clinic. Also, we only facilitate the most recent year’s tax returns. All students must have completed their previous years’ tax returns before booking an appointment with the Tax Clinic.
The IGNITE Tax Clinic has closed for 2021, and will reopen in March 2022.