Tax Clinic We have a team of student volunteers ready to prepare your tax return for you

Get your taxes done – stress-free, wherever you are! 

High school taught us many things – how to dissect a frog and the Pythagorean Theorem, but chances are, you still can’t do your taxes. Let us do them for you! We have a team of student volunteers to prepare your tax return for you. 

Our Tax Clinic will run online from March 22, 2021 to April 30, 2021, with booking opening on March 8. Sit down (virtually!) one-on-one with IGNITE and CRAtrained accounting students to take care of your taxes. 

Here’s all you need to have on hand for your virtual Zoom appointment: 

Domestic Students required documents: 

  • SIN 
  • Government-issued photo ID 
  • T2202 Tuition and Enrolment Certificate 
  • Rent Receipts Any other relevant documentation (ex. Canada Child Benefits, RESP) 

International Students required documents: 

  • SIN (Social Insurance Number) or ITN (Individual tax Number). If you don’t have a SIN or ITN, contact Service Canada at 1(800) 622-6232 
  • The date you moved to Canada (usually, this is the date you received your first study permit at an airport or land border) 
  • Spouse/common-law partners income in 2020 (your spouse/common-law partner must also file a tax return if they are in Canada with you) 

If you plan on staying and working in Canada after your studies, you will need to complete a tax return every year. If you don’t complete your tax return as a student, you will have to complete one for every year you missed. 

Unfortunately, our tax clinic may not be able to cover the needs of every student. We can help students with modest incomes and a simple tax situation. Students with more complex tax returns should speak to a professional financial adviser. Exclusions include but are not limited to the following: 

  • You are self-employed or have employment expenses
  • You have a business or rental income/expenses
  • You have capital gains/losses
  • You have filed for bankruptcy
  • You own a property or home

Please note you must be a current Humber or Guelph-Humber student to utilize the IGNITE Tax Clinic. 

Check back on Monday March 8 to book your appointment.


Questions about the Tax Clinic?
Contact Us