We are almost ready to say goodbye to the cold winters and welcome the warmth of the sun. Summer break is an excellent opportunity for students to explore their creativity and have fun. While there are several activities to do in the summer, some can get expensive. So we’re here to share the details regarding one summer activity that won’t break the bank─ gardening.
To get started you will need to invest in a few basic items such as gardening gloves, a trowel, a watering can, plant pots and seed trays, potting soil, and some small plants or seeds. Then you have to decide where you want to do your gardening. For example, you can set up a container garden if you have a balcony or patio. Or, you can find a spot in your yard or garden with plenty of sunshine.
Next, prepare your soil! If you’re using a container, fill it with potting soil. If you’re planting in the ground, use a trowel to loosen the soil and mix in some compost or fertilizer to enrich the soil. Then, plant your seedlings or plants. Follow the instructions on the packaging for the best results, and make sure to water them regularly.
Most importantly, monitor your garden. Look for signs of pests or diseases and take appropriate action. Finally, enjoy the fruits of your labour! Summer is a great time to harvest fresh fruits and vegetables from your garden.
Doing your gardening right!
Gardening during summer break can be a great way to stay active and have fun in the sun. Follow these tips for gardening during summer break.
- Choose the right plants for your climate. Make sure to select plants that will do well in your environment and that can handle the heat.
- Prepare your soil. Make sure to till your soil and add compost or fertilizer to ensure your plants have the nutrients they need to thrive.
- Water your plants regularly. Ensure to water your plants at least once a day in the summer months to keep them healthy and growing.
- Prune and fertilize. Prune your plants regularly and add fertilizer to give them the nutrients they need to stay healthy.
Affordable gardening finds
Gardening doesn’t have to be expensive! Visit your local dollar store and stock up on the best garden supplies! Some supplies you might want to consider picking up include:
- Garden tools – Shovels, trowels, rakes, and other essential garden tools.
- Planters – From small to large, you can find various planters at the dollar store, perfect for any of your gardening needs.
- Plant labels – Keep track of your plants and ensure they get the proper care by labelling them with the plant labels.
- Plant markers – Markers are a great way to track where you planted certain plants, so you can quickly identify them later on.
- Plant food – You can find plant food like fertilizers and compost at your local store.
- Garden hose – If gardening outdoors, keep your garden well-watered with a garden hose.
- Garden gloves – Protect your hands from dirt and debris with a pair of garden gloves.
- Garden sprayer – Make sure your plants get the water they need with a garden sprayer too.
- Pruners – Trim and shape your plants with a pair of pruners.
- Plant pots – From terracotta to plastic, you can find various plant pots at your local dollar store.
There you have it! The knowledge you need to become a gardening enthusiast! So, go out and enjoy the outdoors, learn about nature, and don’t forget to get some exercise while you’re out.
Are you a fiction fan? Read here to learn about some inspiring fictional women.
Follow IGNITE on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for all things student life.