Online learning seems simple enough—that is until Blackboard decides to breakdown five minutes before class starts.
We’ve all been there.
Online learning has some massive pros — like saving time and money on commuting — but, it also comes with some challenges. Learning remotely can create a disconnect between you and the supports available ‘on-campus.’
That’s why we’ve created this guide to connect you with the online learning supports available at Humber and Guelph-Humber.
For technical support:
Can’t log into MyHumber? Can’t submit your assignment on Courselink? Here’s who to turn to:
- Open Learning Centre: connects Humber students to online learning IT support and provides in-depth tutorials for common issues for students.
- CourseLink support: contact for CourseLink technical support.
- Academic and Campus Technology services: from Gryph Mail to software support, chat online, call, or email to get IT assistance for all Guelph-Humber students.
For wellness support:
Whether you need someone to confide in or medical advice, we’ve got you covered—both with support and health insurance.
- IGNITE health and wellness: find the in’s and out’s of your health insurance, where you can pick up free menstrual products, information about the Soupbar, and more!
- Humber and UofGH health and counselling: book an appointment with a health care or mental health professional, virtually!
- Online health resource catalogue: Humber has put together a catalogue of online supports available for most health concerns.
- Good2Talk: for Ontario and Nova Scotia students, Good2Talk provides 24/7 confidential mental health support.
For academic support:
If algebra, essays, or note-taking isn’t for you we’ve got just the people you can talk to:
- Peer Assisted Learning Support (PALS): peer tutoring, learning skills workshops, and note-taking services are just the tip of the iceberg.
- Guelph-Humber Academic Advising: connect with your academic advisor to set goals, make a plan, and find success.
- Humber students, find your academic advisor here.
- Guelph-Humber Learning Support Peers (LSPs): get in touch with a learning support peer to get tips on time management, presentation skills, and so much more.
- Math and Writing Centre: whether you need timely feedback on your work or a tutor to help you understand challenging topics, the Math and Writing Centre is here for you.
For career support:
Trying to pick up a part-time gig? Graduating and stressing about your resume? Here’s your lifeline:
- IGNITE Learning Essentials Support: if you’re stressing about purchasing learning essential items like equipment or software for your class, IGNITE offers between $50 to $500 per academic year to help students out.
- Humber Career and Advising: from resume help to mock interviews, Humber’s career and advising services can help you land your dream job.
- Guelph-Humber Career Services: unsure of the next four years after graduation? Connect with Guelph-Humber’s career services to create a plan, get resume help, and connect with your career or field placement coordinator.
From navigating a whole new learning landscape to endlessly searching for online resources – as nice as rolling out of bed for a class is – we know it’s been a year.
But, there is support available! The beauty of the internet is how adaptable it is. Take advantage of the resources at your disposal to make this year a little lighter.
Tired of staring at your computer? We understand. Here’s how to really disconnect and take a well-deserved break.