IGNITE Leadership Awards
We want to acknowledge the leaders in our community – the trailblazers who demonstrate exceptional leadership skills both on and off campus. That’s why we’ve created the IGNITE Leadership Awards. These new awards will be presented annually to students in recognition of their leadership qualities on campus or in their local community. And this year, we’re celebrating virtually!
So, what makes a leader?
Leaders can be anyone! Qualities we’re looking for may include outstanding contributions to student or campus life, leadership roles not related to your area of study and involvement within the Humber College and UofGH community.
How to enter
Does this sound like you, or someone you know? Nominate yourself or your deserving colleague or BFF with a brief essay about your/their proudest achievement that displays leadership skills. Don’t forget to include any obstacles you/they overcame to reach this achievement and why it’s important.
- Students must currently be enrolled at Humber College or the UofGH.
- Must be nominated by a Humber or UofGH faculty, staff or student.
- Be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.70 (B-) at the end of the previous academic session prior to the opening of the nomination period. (Exceptions to this academic requirement may be considered only under extraordinary circumstances.)
What are you waiting for? Nominate yourself, or someone you know, by Friday, March 12, 2021 at 4 p.m to get the recognition you deserve.
Nominations for IGNITE Student Leadership Awards are now closed. Submissions will be evaluated by IGNITE's Student Engagement Coordinators and the Manager, Leadership & Advocacy. Winners will be announced on Friday, March 26, 2021 and will be featured on IGNITE website and social media.
*Nominees must meet all the eligibility criteria for the nomination to be considered.
*Submissions will be evaluated by IGNITE’s Student Engagement Coordinators and the Manager, Leadership & Advocacy. Winners will be announced on Friday, March 26, 2021 and will be featured on IGNITE website and social media.
The recipient of this award uses their social influence to maximize the efforts of others to help them achieve a goal. This student’s contributions have a high-impact on the Humber or UofGH community. They have demonstrated an exemplary service to IGNITE, Humber College or UofGH through a non-paid position. This student is a leader, through and through.
STUDENT STAFF AWARD
The recipient of this award continuously exceeds the outlined expectations of their job description and recognizes the exceptional service they provide through their work on campus. The recipient of this award must be a Work Study student or work for IGNITE at the time of nomination submission.
The recipient of this award is an advocate for student concerns, initiatives and issues. They help the Humber and UofGH community get the help and resources they need to engage in a positive learning experience on campus.
They are constantly taking action to support a cause. This award recognizes the student who is involved in one or more of the following:
- Volunteering with the IGNITE Tax Clinic
- Being a peer tutor for students in their program
- Assisting at Orientation
- Attending leadership development workshops
- Volunteering for various events
- Starting a campus initiative or student club
- Outside of campus and their area of study, award recipients would have demonstrated leadership through involvement in organizations like the United Way or Habitat for Humanity, or within their religious community, community centre or organizations, or a cultural agency.
Community Award – The BASE
For current Humber and UofGH students who self-identify as Black and have made contributions to The BASE (Black Academic Success and Engagement)’s initiatives and the community.
Community Award – Humber IE&E
For current Humber and UofGH students who self-identify as a member of an Indigenous community native to North America, such as First Nations, Metis, or Inuk (Inuit), who have made positive contributions to Humber Indigenous Education & Engagement (IE&E) and the community.
Community Award – LGBTQ+ Resource Centre
For current Humber and UofGH students who self-identify as 2SLGTBTQ+ and have made positive contributions to the LGBTQ+ Resource Centre and the community.