Reports to: Director, Communications and Marketing
|Location: Humber College, North or Lakeshore Campus|
|Anticipated Start date: November 2021||Position Type: Full-Time Permanent|
The Manager, Creative Design is a critical member of the Marketing and Communications department, with responsibility for the creative development and execution of IGNITE’s visual image across the campus community. This includes the conceptualization and development of new and innovative visual approaches and preparation of all IGNITE publications, promotions and other professionally designed print and digital materials.
The highly innovative and creative incumbent will collaborate on projects with colleagues, delegate tasks, and check for quality and consistency on all creative work. This role will also be responsible for the conceptualization, design and execution of a range of projects, including but not limited to: print and web graphics and ads, posters, flyers, signage, internal promotional ads, presentations, and reports.
The incumbent will hire, lead, train and supervise a team of graphic designers, photographers and videographers and project manage all related projects and objectives.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Mentor, coach and provide direction to creative team members to foster a positive work environment
- Shoulder the responsibility of the quality and completion of all work projects assigned to members of the creative team
- Participate in and provide regular opportunities to the creative team for performance evaluation and professional development
- Report progress of projects at major stages of their conception, creation, and execution
- Ensure designs and content reflect the IGNITE brand and voice consistently and effectively
- Work with internal and external strategic partners to create projects using the most current industry best practices
- Anticipate problems that may impede a project from completing on time and implement solutions
- Effectively manage project prioritization, multi-tasking, and time management of the creative team to consistently meet deadlines
- Scheduling of team to balance project management requirements with budget
- Manage the provision of creative print and digital support services, including graphic design, digital design assets, and production services by external service providers and an internalteam
- Ensure all projects comply with accessibility standardsas defined by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act
- Initiate research, develop, and implement new promotionalconcepts for digital and commercial print (ie. Student agenda, kits, campaigns, and swag)
- Develop and execute branding initiatives consistent with IGNITE’sstrategic goals
- Participate in marketing strategic planning meetings on a project-by-project basis
- Research and implement innovative design techniques meant to capture the IGNITE target audience
- Manage internal videographer team projects for IGNITE’s website, YouTube, IGTV, Instagram Reels and Humber/Guelph-Humber TV platforms
- Creationand delivery of Request for Proposal forIGNITE Ignition Point video series to sourced external partners;project management of the video series from ideationto final product delivery
- Ensure accessibility has been considered across all videos and that projects comply with accessibility standards as defined by the Accessibility for Ontarians with DisabilitiesAct
- Research and lead creativevideography methods/techniques to enhance videocontent
- Lead and provide direction to all individuals involved in the filmmaking process, including subjects of video, actors, and personnel assisting in the filmmaking process
- Schedule production and shooting times and book any necessary locations and or equipment needed for filming
Education, Qualifications & Experience
The successful candidate will possess:
- A diploma or bachelor’s degree in Graphic or Web Design or a relevant field
- Minimum of 5 years of work-related experience.
- Demonstrated skills in the use of industry-standard graphics software, with practical experience in Adobe Creative Suite applications specific to Illustrator, Premier, After Effects, Photoshop and InDesign
- Working knowledge of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) is required.
- Demonstrated ability to create compelling promotional materials and campaign assets
- Additional qualifications include knowledge and experience in the preparation and management of artwork for print and digital production, proven experience in the integration and management of brand identity systems across graphic design applications, and strong people management skills.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSAs)
To be successful in this role, you will need to demonstrate the following key competencies:
- Excellent communication skills including verbal, written, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- High level of professionalism demonstrated by the ability to escalate important issues with solid recommendations.
- A strong collaborator, leveraging interpersonal skills to form effective working relationships with people at all levels of the organization.
- Initiative and accountability for planned and unplanned tasks or events.
- Adaptable with a commitment to continuous learning, quality improvement and innovation.
- Ability to manage and co-ordinate the end-to-end development process while meeting deadlines and budget requirements.
- Highly effective project management, prioritization, multi-tasking, and time management skills to meet deadlines.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills.
- Sound leadership, staff management, and team-building skills.
IGNITE Student Union (IGNITE) is a non-profit organization and the official student union representing more than 33,000 full-time students of Humber College and the University of Guelph-Humber. With offices located at the North and Lakeshore campuses, IGNITE provides students with exciting events, essential services, and leadership opportunities.
IGNITE is committed to a workforce that reflects the diversity of our students and our city. We actively seek qualified individuals with demonstrated skill and knowledge to deal with all aspects of diversity in a post-secondary environment.
IGNITE is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). IGNITE will work with applicants requesting accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. This document is available in an alternate format on request.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include “Manager, Creative Design” in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employees may perform other related duties as required by the organization.