Job Title: Content / Web Writer
|Campus: Guelph-Humber, North and Lakeshore|
|Position Type: Part-Time (20 Hours/Week)||Number of Positions: GH/North (2), Lakeshore (2)|
The Content / Web Writer is responsible for writing full-length stories, news briefs, editorials, columns, and articles for IGNITE’s website. The Content / Web Writer will execute full project tasks from creative concept pitch through to post-editing of all work produced, demonstrating the ability to write for college / university audience across a variety of topic areas.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Produce feature-length stories, news briefs, editorials, columns, and listicles relating to all IGNITE services and events, as well as various initiatives within the Humber/Guelph-Humber community
- Identify interview subjects, arrange and conduct interviews to acquire the required information for article production
- Conduct continual research of IGNITE activities and events and Humber/GH for potential stories
- Take relevant photos which adhere to IGNITE guidelines and are appropriate for the articles
- Superior writing, editing, fact-checking, and interviewing skills
- Excellent grammar
- Ability to think strategically, formulate and execute plans to meet organizational goals
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to think analytically
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills; conflict management
- Superb ability to manage time and stay organized
- Ability to work both independently and as a team
- A successful track record working in a high-volume environment
- Must either be a current Humber ITAL or the University of Guelph-Humber fee paying student at the time of application
- Journalism experience and web writing experience an asset
- Minimum 1 year writing experience; 2-3 writing samples required at application
- Experience with WordPress is an asset
IGNITE Student Union (IGNITE) is a non-profit organization and the official student union representing more than 33,000 full-time students of Humber College and the University of Guelph-Humber. With offices located at the North and Lakeshore campuses, IGNITE provides student with exciting events, essential services and leadership opportunities.
Interested candidates should fill out the application and attached their resume, cover letter and 2-3 writing samples below.
IGNITE is committed to a workforce that reflects the diversity of our students and our city. We actively seek qualified individuals with demonstrated skill and knowledge to deal with all aspects of diversity in a post-secondary environment.
IGNITE is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Our Human Resources Director will work with applicants requesting accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. This document is available in alternate format on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.