Reports to: CEO
|Location: Humber College, North or Lakeshore Campus|
|Anticipated Start date: January 2022||Position Type: Full-Time Permanent|
The Manager, Board Administration will be accountable for ensuring the integrity of IGNITE’s governance framework, being responsible for ensuring compliance with all statutory and regulatory requirements and implementing decisions made by the Board of Directors.
The Manager, Board Administration will act as a Board advisor, support the Board, its committees and provide board meeting administration. As a first point of contact, the incumbent will act as a liaison between the Board and the Chief Executive Officer.
The Manager, Board Administration will train/orient all incoming Board members, professionalize Board and Committee meetings and oversee the administration of all other Board related activities including Special Meetings of the Members, Annual General Meetings, and the annual election process for IGNITE’s Board.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Creation, development and facilitation of the May Onboarding Board Training and continued Board orientation and training throughout the year.
- Provide governance training, education, and continuous learning opportunities for Directors to improve skills
- Identify issues or topics that require the attention of the Board, including the interpretation of by-laws, policies and procedures
- Produce clear, concise, articulate and timely communications such as Board meeting Executive Summaries in advance of Board/CEO media briefings
- Liaising with auditors, lawyers and shareholders on board governance issues
- Coordinate all aspects of Board and Committee meetings, such as developing monthly agendas with Board Chair and CEO, minute taking and filing, board package creation, preparation and distribution of documents
- Coordinate board member attendance, honoraria and board meeting logistics
- Support for all board committees (Governance Review Committee and Finance and Audit Committee), including meeting administration and minute taking, and management of committee calendars
- Support the Board and Staff in preparation for the Special Meeting of the Members and Annual General Meeting
- Prepare and distribute reports or correspondence for the Board and complete necessary follow-up resulting from correspondence
- Coordinate meeting logistics including speakers, venues, food and beverage service, telecommunications and audio-visual support
- Distribute draft and finalized meeting minutes to Board and Committee members
- Governance policy development and monitoring including reviewing and revising in support of the Board’s Governance Review Committee
- Analyze trends and internal needs to develop and administer policies and procedures to address the organization’s governance requirements
- Proactively build applicant pipelines and build a strong brand to attract talented and diverse candidates
- Administer the annual Elections process for IGNITE’s Board of Directors
- Collaboratively lead the IGNITE Elections Campaign through the performance of Chief Returning Officer responsibilities and duties
- Project coordination of Board Elections in accordance with IGNITE’s Election and Appeals Policy
- Manage the exit of Directors including conducting exit interviews and Notice of Change filings with the Ministry
- Update job knowledge by participating in conferences and educational opportunities; reading professional publications; and maintaining professional networks
- As requested, duties not specifically detailed in this job description but related to the primary goals and objectives of the position
Education, Qualifications & Experience
The successful candidate will possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Governance, Human Resources, Public Policy,
- Minimum of 5 to 7 years of experience working in the area of board administration and governance
- Business experience working in roles outside of governance is an asset, but not required
- Experience working for a non-profit organization is an asset, but not required
- Demonstrated experience using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Demonstrated experience applying excellent judgment in dealing with sensitive and confidential governance matters
- Demonstrated experience in educating and coaching staff
- Proven leadership, strategic planning and problem-solving skills, and the ability to make independent judgment
- Ability to analyze, interpret and explain various aspects of policy and bylaw development
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSAs)
To be successful in this role, you will need to demonstrate the following key competencies:
- Good working knowledge of parliamentary procedure (e.g. Robert’s Rules of Order) and procedures for the conduct of meetings, both formal and informal
- Excellent communication skills including verbal, written, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Superior relationship management skills with a strong ability to affect strategic change.
- Ability to exercise diplomacy, discretion, maturity, and sound judgment when interacting with Board members and all internal and external stakeholders
- Problem-solving skills with an ability to find pragmatic and collaborative solutions to manage conflict or misalignment of stakeholders
- Strong project management, priority setting, organization, and attention to detail
- Adaptable with a commitment to continuous learning, quality improvement and innovation
- High level of professionalism demonstrated by the ability to escalate important issues with solid recommendations
- A strong collaborator, leveraging interpersonal skills to form effective working relationships with people at all levels of the organization
- Initiative and accountability for planned and unplanned tasks or events
IGNITE Student Union (IGNITE) is a non-profit organization and the official student union representing more than 33,000 full-time students of Humber College and the University of Guelph-Humber. With offices located at the North and Lakeshore campuses, IGNITE provides students with exciting events, essential services, and leadership opportunities.
IGNITE is committed to a workforce that reflects the diversity of our students and our city. We actively seek qualified individuals with demonstrated skill and knowledge to deal with all aspects of diversity in a post-secondary environment.
IGNITE is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). IGNITE will work with applicants requesting accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. This document is available in an alternate format on request.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include “Manager, Board Administration” in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employees may perform other related duties as required by the organization.