With summer quickly approaching many students start thinking about different ways to get healthier.
For many of us getting healthier might mean going to the gym, or at the very least watching what we eat a little bit. If you’re like me then you find this especially difficult because – let’s face it – you love desserts.
What if we were to tell you that you can have your dessert and not have to feel guilty about it? With some careful planning, and creative cooking, you can do just that. There are many awesome fast and healthy dessert recipes out there, but we decided to share our top 5 with you!
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups fruit juice, nectar, or puree – pick your favourite fruit!
- In a small saucepan bring your sugar and 1/3 cup of water to boil on high – stir until sugar dissolves
- Transfer to a medium bowl and refrigerate until cool – about 30 minutes.
- Stir in your juice/fruit puree.
- Pour into ice pop molds and stick into the freezer until solid. – 6 Hours
- BONUS: mix in small fruit slices or use a mixture of juice!
Banana Ice Cream
- 2 Frozen bananas, sliced.
- Add your frozen bananas to a food processor and blend.
- Occasionally scrape down the sides and blend until smooth. It will take around 3 to 5 minutes
- If you want things to get firmer then place it in an airtight container in the freezer for at least an hour!
- BONUS: Mix in nuts, fresh fruit, honey, spices, or any nut butter. You can change the flavour of the ice cream depending on what you mix in. GET CREATIVE!
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons chocolate-flavoured liqueur (OR chocolate flavouring if you’re underage)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed
- One 9-inch premade rolled pie crust, baked according to directions on box and cooled
- Half 1-ounce semisweet chocolate, grated, for garnish
- Melt both chocolates and the milk in a double boiler over low heat.
- Remove from head and add in corn syrup, chocolate flavouring (/liqueur), and vanilla extract. Mix together and allow to cool.
- Take an electric mixer and turn it up to high speed. Beat your meringue powder 6 tablespoons of water in a medium bowl. Do this until glossy peaks form – 2 to 3 minutes.
- With a rubber spatula gently fold the beaten meringue and the whipped topping into the cooled chocolate mixture. Do this until no streaks of white remain.
- Spoon into the prepared crust and spread evenly.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until frozen – a couple of hours
- Garnish with grated chocolate and serve.
- BONUS: Add fruit or whipped cream!
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup light or full-fat coconut milk, depending on preference
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- Mix chia seeds, coconut milk, and honey together in a small bowl or glass mason jar.
- Let it sit in the refrigerator over night.
- Remove it from the fridge and make sure your pudding looks thick and the chia seeds have gelled.
- Top with fresh fruit and nuts. Enjoy immediately!
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 pound silken tofu
- 8 ounces high-quality bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
- Chocolate shavings, optional
- In a small put combine sugar with 3/4 cop of water. Bring to a boil and cook until the sugar dissolves – stir occasionally.
- Cool slightly, put the sugar mixture, tofu, chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, and chili powder into a blender. Puree until completely smooth. Be sure to stop to scrape the sides.
- Divide it among 4-6 ramekins and chill for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings.
- BONUS: Add some low fat whipped cream or chill strawberries for dipping.
Being healthy can be hard when there is so many kinds of delicious food. If you find yourself craving a different kind of treat check out our other article about 5 meals that are light in calories and cost. Also check out our article about 10 ways to boost your health this summer for more awesome ways to be healthy while having fun in the sun.
Don’t forget that if you are covered under our health plan, it extends throughout the summer! For more information, check our our health and wellness page.
IGNITE would love to hear about your summer plans on Facebook! Be sure to stay tuned during the summer for more news and updates. We hope you enjoy your summer vacation!