Position type: Part-time
Campus: North/GH, Lakeshore
IGNITE is looking for an experienced student to join our Web Content Team as a Content Writer. The Content Writer is responsible for writing full-length stories, news briefs, editorials, columns, and listicles. The Content Writer will work under the direction of the Communications Coordinator.
2-3 writing samples required, applications submitted without samples will not be considered.
- Produce feature-length stories, news briefs, editorials, columns, and listicles relating to all IGNITE services and events, as well as various initiatives within the Humber/Guelph-Humber community.
- Work closely with the Communications Coordinator to ensure the timely delivery and quality of articles
- Identify interview subjects, arrange and conduct interviews to acquire the required information for article production
- Conduct continual research of activities and events at IGNITE and Humber/GH for potential stories
- Take relevant photos which adhere to IGNITE guidelines and are appropriate for the articles
- Superior writing, editing, fact-checking, and interviewing skills
- Excellent grammar skills
- Previous experience writing for the web is an asset
- Ability to write on a variety of topics including lifestyle, event coverage, topical pieces, arts, and opinions
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Experience with WordPress is an asset
- Journalism (or similar writing experience) is an asset
- Photography skills are an asset
- Familiarity with Photoshop is an asset
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Great time management skills
- Ability to work as a team as well as independently