Let’s talk taxes.
March 26 to April 26 | Weekdays starting at 10AM
North Campus (KX205) &
Lakeshore Campus (K Building)
Yes, we know taxes aren’t the most exciting topic. In fact, taxes can be scary or totally confusing for most students (and let’s be honest, many non-students too). But luckily, the IGNITE Tax Clinic is here to make taxes easy!
This year you don’t have to beg your parents for help or trek to a local tax prep shop. We’re offering all Humber and Guelph-Humber students FREE sessions at our Tax Clinic to get their income taxes filed!
Sit down one-on-one with trained accounting students and take care of your taxes. Book your half-hour appointment below and take all those tax worries off your mind.
Why file taxes?
Well… it’s land of the law. Plus, filing your tax return often allows you to get back some of your hard-earned cash that has been taken from your paycheque throughout the year and take advantage of refundable tax credits. Find out more here.
Our Tax Clinic runs from March 26th – April 26th, Monday-Thursday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Limited appointments available; sign-up required.
Service runs from at both the North and Lakeshore campuses:
- North – KX205 (Above Student Centre)
- Lakeshore – K Building
You MUST bring the following to your appointment:
- Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Valid piece of government ID
- T2202A Tuition and Enrolment Certificate (found on MyHumber and Webadvisor)
- 2016 Notice of Assessment (you received this from the CRA if you filed last year)
You MAY need to bring the following to your appointment, depending on your situation:
- Full name, SIN number, birth date and annual income of your spouse
- T4: Statement of Remuneration Paid (mailed by your employer)
- T3: Statement of Trust Income Allocations & Designations (from your financial institution)
- T5: Investment Income (from your financial institution)
- Tips or gratuities earned
- Moving Expenses
- Medical receipts
- Rent and Residence receipts (provided by your landlord/school)
- Medical Expense for yourself, spouse/common-law partner, and your dependent children born in 1998 or later
- Donation receipts
- Public transportation monthly pass receipts
If you are a parent please bring the following along with the above:
- Full name, SIN number, and birth date of dependants
If you do not bring all of your documents we will not be able to process your tax return. This service is only for 2017 tax returns. Please note if you have filed taxes in previous years, you must have completed your 2016 income tax return in order to be eligible. If you’ve never filed, we are able to help you.
Unfortunately our tax clinic may not be able to cover the needs of every student. We can help students with modest incomes and a simple tax situation. Students with more complex tax returns should speak to a professional financial advisor. Exclusions include but are not limited to the following:
- You are self-employed or have employment expenses
- You have a business or rental income/expenses
- You have capital gains/losses
- You have filed for bankruptcy
- You own a property or home
Learn more about your taxes here:
- Tax videos for international students
- Tax resources for homeowners
- Tax resources for parents
- Tax resources for Aboriginal peoples
- Tax resources for persons with disabilities
Please note you must be a current Humber or Guelph-Humber student to utilize the IGNITE Tax Clinic.
The Tax Clinic is now closed.