IGNITE is prepared to run the free 2020 Tax Clinic in May, when campuses are expected to reopen.
It’s that time of year again—tax season. With all the things students have on their radar, the idea of taxes can be the least of our worries. We aren’t all accountants, and chances are we don’t even know everything we can claim.
And that’s OK because you don’t have to—IGNITE’s got you covered.
Lucky for you, tax season doesn’t have to be as scary as it seems. Depending on how much money your employer has taken out of your paycheques, you’re likely to get some cash back when you file your return. Save your moola by skipping out on pricey accountants and complete your tax return with IGNITE.
IGNITE is coming to the rescue once again with the help of trained volunteers to file your returns. Oh, and did we mention it’s completely FREE?
Limited appointments available; book your appointment below.
You MUST bring the following to your appointment:
- Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Valid piece of government ID
- T2202A Tuition and Enrolment Certificate (found on MyHumber and Webadvisor)
- 2019 Notice of Assessment (you received this from the CRA if you filed last year)
You MAY need to bring the following to your appointment, depending on your situation:
- Full name, SIN number, birth date and annual income of your spouse
- T4: Statement of Remuneration Paid (mailed by your employer)
- T3: Statement of Trust Income Allocations & Designations (from your financial institution)
- T5: Investment Income (from your financial institution)
- Tips or gratuities earned
- Moving Expenses
- Medical receipts
- Rent and Residence receipts (provided by your landlord/school)
- Medical Expense for yourself, spouse/common-law partner, and your dependent children born in 1998 or later
- Donation receipts
If you are a parent please bring the following along with the above:
- Full name, SIN number, and birth date of dependents
If you do not bring all of your documents we will not be able to process your tax return. This service is only for 2019 tax returns. Please note if you have filed taxes in previous years, you must have completed your 2018 income tax return in order to be eligible. If you’ve never filed, we are able to help you.
Unfortunately our tax clinic may not be able to cover the needs of every student. We can help students with modest incomes and a simple tax situation. Students with more complex tax returns should speak to a professional financial advisor. Exclusions include but are not limited to the following:
- You are self-employed or have employment expenses
- You have a business or rental income/expenses
- You have capital gains/losses
- You have filed for bankruptcy
- You own a property or home
So gather up your forms, and head on over to the Tax Clinic to make this tax season a breeze. Not sure what to claim? Check out 5 things you never knew you could claim for taxes!
Ready to get your taxes sorted? Book your appointment today. Can’t find a time that works for you? Check back as new appointments open in April.